Today's Friday Five invites us to reflect on some things that maybe seemed like a good idea at the time but we aren't eager to repeat.
1. Whitewater Rafting - I went with a college group from my home church because the guy I was dating at the time enjoyed that kind of thing (which was probably my first mistake!) My boat got tipped pretty early on. Between the stories of how many ways you could die in the river (or just lose a limb), not being a really strong swimmer, and having the raft land on top of my head as soon as I surfaced, I was not happy. The fact that I had to stay in that blooming raft for another hour and a half to get to the end of the course was miserable and by the time we got to the end I had to CRAWL up to dry ground because my legs were shaking so badly I couldn't walk.
2. Goliath at Six Flags over Georgia - Hubby and I were offered free tickets to Six Flags along with his mom, aunt, and cousin. He isn't much for roller coasters but I kind of like them. He didn't want to ride much of anything, but his aunt mentioned that there was this one coaster that she actually liked so I eagerly went to ride it with her. I was not amused, mostly because it only had a lap bar that let my rear end leave my seat a little bit. I don't mind tall, fast, or even flipping upside down, but I want to be strapped so securely into my seat that I don't move AT ALL (and I also really want to have those handles on my chest that I can hold onto!)
3. Tower of Terror at Walt Disney World - I did it in high school with my friends because I was determined to try everything. I can now say I've done it and have no desire to do it again. I'm hesitant to say "never" because if we ever have a child that wants to do it, I'll have to be the one to go with them because goodness knows my loving husband won't! Maybe this is the perfect reason to bring my brother along!
4. Eating Scallops - I just can't stand the texture of them. I'm not a huge seafood fan anyway, but that's one thing I never have any desire to try again.
5. Snow Sports - My desire is still there to try stuff like skiing or ice skating again, but my poor, uncoordinated body apparently doesn't agree. Between busting my knee in high school from ice skating or almost knocking myself unconscious by hitting my head on a patch of ice while skiing, it's probably better if I simply sit and provide moral support for others!