Sunday, June 21, 2009

Chimichanga

One of my new toys is a tiny deep fryer. I know frying stuff is not healthy and I don't intend to use this super-frequently, but I do sometimes make homemade onion rings or fries. I really hate pulling out the big pot and filling it with oil and doing all that, if for no other reason than it's a mess to try and clean up. So I'm excited about the new fryer. It looks like a tiny version of a restaurant fryer, with its own little basket and everything. (Miniature size anything and I will probably fall in love with it. Look at my dog!)

Anywho, last week I decided to be adventurous and make homemade chimichangas. It's not that it would be any cheaper or quicker or better for me to make it at home, I just thought it would be something fun to try. My first adventure was trying to make the shredded chicken cooked in the red sauce with peppers and onions. I think it came out pretty well, but I think I can do better next time. 

As the chicken finished and my oil was heating in the fryer, I pulled out the flour tortillas and began trying to roll. I'm not much of a burrito eater, so my technique could use some work. The first one fell apart on me, so we had to eat the shredded tortilla and re-wrap the filling. Attempt number two looked a little funny because one edge flared out and got all puffy, but it held together and was pretty darn tasty. Attempts two and three were pretty darn impressive if I do say so myself, but I discovered toothpicks helped hold my wraps in place. The last one started to flare out a little on one edge also, but all in all I was very pleased with myself. 

Next time I'm going to try my hand at homemade tortilla chips. Something tells me I'll never buy a bag at the store again!

Coming soon: crocheting, photography, meatloaf, and table settings


No comments:

Post a Comment