Friday, June 19, 2009

Knitting

I first started knitting when I was probably 7 years old. It wasn't "real" knitting, it was a very small loom that came in a kit intended for making Barbie clothes. Well, I loved knitting with the loom but never got around to making the doll clothes. Unfortunately I couldn't come up with anything to do with the little ropes I was creating, so that was the end of that.

While I was in college, I found some much larger looms and was able to use them to make a little hat and scarf. I didn't ever really get around to doing much more than that, but I have intentions of getting there.

During my first year of Div school I learned to knit with needles along with half the other females in our class. The problem is that I started after everyone else and never really learned how to start it. A friend started my scarf for me and showed me how to do the basic stitch and I picked it up pretty quickly. I got about a quarter of the way done with it, but it was in really sad shape (I didn't start with a good type of yarn) but since I didn't know how to get started, I couldn't start over!

I got a Hobby Lobby gift card for a wedding gift, so the first thing I bought was a long knitting loom (I think it was called a "knitting board") and some good, sturdy yarn plus a kit to teach myself to crochet. Well, the crocheting still needs some serious work, but one thing I did learn was how to get a project started. Out of curiosity I tried it on my knitting needles and it worked like a charm. After a small test patch that came out great, I got started on my first project on the long loom.

My first project, a dishcloth, was officially finished this morning. It took me a little while to figure out how to finish it in a way I liked, but once I did I was quite proud of it! When I really sat down and worked on it, it only took me about a day and a half to get it done. 

The next project is to do another dishcloth, this time on the needles. I'm also thinking of trying to do some throw pillows for the living room. We'll see how that goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment