Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Yoga For Beginners

When I wrote up my 101 things list, my number 15 was originally to take a dance class, but I pretty quickly decided that I would be happy with yoga, too. I just wanted something to get me moving again.

My first attempt at a yoga class was on our cruise last April. On the one hand I was glad that nobody else showed up because it meant that I didn't have to embarrass myself in front of total strangers (can you tell I'm a little self-conscious about the fact that I've never done this before?!) but that also meant that there was no class. I had a great time talking to the instructor, but I didn't have the guts to ask him to teach me something anyway so it still didn't scratch that itch.

Almost a year passed and I still didn't get to take my class. I know there are plenty of "drop in" classes all over the place, but that's not what I'm after or comfortable with. I want something that has a distinct beginning. That's just who I am and how I like to learn. I can't stand the idea of missing the first day of school and not having that foundation! So it was starting to look like either I'd have to find a series with a distinct start and end date, or take private lessons. I found out about a woman who does private yoga classes, but it was a lot more expensive than what I was willing to spend just to try it out.

Finally, I discovered Villager Yoga and the beginner's class. One of the things I liked best about their classes was that, after I took the beginner class, there were lots of options for other classes (like Yoga and Wine!) or other series that I could take if I wanted to. But because they run in 6 week-ish sessions, if I have to miss a few in a series, I can just wait until the next session and take it then!

I am always tempted to go a little overboard when I first try something new. This time, I decided to restrain myself. I didn't need any new clothes, and I decided to wait on buying a yoga mat. I figured if I like it and am going to take any other classes, I can buy one then. That being said, I have already scouted a cute mat and bag set

Tomorrow is my first class. I'm very excited! Stay tuned to find out how this little adventure ends up!

No comments:

Post a Comment