Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Bittersweet Birthday

Well, it's official. I'm now closer to 30 than 20. Seriously?

It's kind of bittersweet in that this is the first birthday I've had to celebrate without either of my parents. It's an odd feeling to think about the fact that the two people who brought me into this world have now left it. At the same time it's kind of sweet because it's the first birthday they've both gotten to spend with my twin sister in heaven. Yes, I know, birthdays here don't mean much in heaven, but I know this was always a bittersweet day for them because at the same time they had a daughter they also lost one. So today, they get to celebrate together, and for that I'm very grateful. I'm pretty sure there's red velvet cake in heaven, and if not there's definitely key lime pie, so I'm hoping they'll have a slice for me!

Ok, have we got all the crying out of our systems now? Then let's focus on the celebration part!

This year, my birthday started about a month early! Jeff made me my fabulous workbench in the garage, and now that I know how to work things down there I've been spending a couple of hours almost every night down there working on something! I got myself a lovely necklace that I wear pretty much everywhere and it's super-cute and super-special to me. Because today is Tuesday, the celebrating with extended family had to be on the weekends before or after. I think that's kind of how it should be. Saturday Catherine and John came and we went to dinner at Fox Valley. That was REALLY nice! Catherine got me the die cut machine I wanted, so I've been playing with that. John got me a gift certificate for a day spa, so I'm going to take one of my days off and go get a 90 minute hot stone massage! Jeff's step-sister has been down, so we had lunch with his mom, step-dad, and step-sister on Sunday. That wasn't officially birthday related, but it was fun.

Yesterday was supposed to be my off day but I spent it at employee orientation at Children's Hospital. Then I had dinner with my friend Tyler at Silvertron Cafe. Since I got off work before she did, I got to spend a little time at a funky boutique across the street from the restaurant. Today I also spent half the day at Children's and the other half at UAB for CPE. I made lots of treats to take to work/class. I had planned to take them today, but since I had to spend the morning at Children's and didn't want to fool with hauling it all over creation, I'm taking everything for class tomorrow. My only request for tonight was dinner with Jeff. No friends, no family, just us! I had a nice dinner with Jeff and now I'm going to spend the evening making goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment