Tuesday, January 17, 2012

(Nash-) Vegas Vacation

I have been longing for a weekend getaway for a long time. I love getting away any time I can, but it's definitely nice to have a break from church. Jeff and I decided near the end of last year that I would take my available Sunday off sometime after Christmas but before Lent, but that Jeff would do most of the planning for our little getaway. So I warned the key folks at the church that I may not be able to give them a ton of notice, but that I would make sure everything was taken care of. Fast forward through some logistical details that I'm guessing nobody really cares about, and we realized that MLK weekend would be the perfect time for us to not only have a weekend getaway, but a LONG weekend, since Jeff would have Monday off work!

After some discussion, we decided we wanted to go to Nashville. It's been a long time since we've been up there so it's time. Plus, the timing was sort of important. MLK weekend 5 years ago was the first time Jeff came up to visit me in Nashville! Hard to believe it's already been five years!

Jeff got off work a little early on Friday and we hopped in the car to head north. It wasn't as long a trip as I was expecting. I really enjoy road trips with Jeff because I love the (generally) uninterupted time together to just talk and laugh. We checked into The Baymont Inn & Suites in Brentwood (as much as I would have liked to stay downtown the budget this time just wouldn't allow it!) and grabbed dinner around 7pm. Our hotel was actually sort of in the midst of an office park so there weren't a ton of obvious dining options. We explored a bit and stumbled upon a Five Guys. Neither of us had ever tried it and they didn't look too busy so we headed inside. It was great and I'm glad I know I can get this at home now!

Saturday we got up and headed to town. It was early enough in the day that we were actually able to get street parking downtown. We wandered around a bit waiting for Bath Junkie to open. I have previously professed my love for their stuff, and this is officially the closest store to me now, so I had to stock up. They were all out of the body mist I wanted, but I got some other things and even a few gifts. After we dropped my purchases off at the car we wandered a bit more, and ended up at the Country Music Hall of Fame. I had been once almost five years ago, and Jeff had never been at all so we decided to do the tourist thing. It was neat, but we were only there a little over an hour so it didn't really seem worth the $20 each we spent on it. Still, it's a fun thing to see. On our way back to the car we were ready for lunch and found ourselves stopped at a crosswalk by Merchants. I'd never heard of it, but as we waited for the crossing signal we looked in the window and everything looked good so we decided to try it. I'm so incredibly glad that we did because everything was amazing. I'll post a more in-depth review soon, so stay tuned. After that we started making our way back down toward Brentwood, exploring as we went. We ended up at Green Hills Mall where we used to waste lots of afternoons while we were dating. We also took note of the "new" Trader Joe's and stopped in for some snacks. The English Toffee has been a long-standing favorite of mine and the Sweet and Spicy Pecans are a new favorite.

Sunday we *gasp* SLEPT IN! And it was absolutely glorious. After a lazy morning we headed over to Dave and Buster's for lunch and the ultimate ski-ball challenge. I kicked his rear end, although he got even in air hockey. While we were there we stopped by Bass Pro Shop to look at boats. We thought about seeing a movie, but there wasn't anything we wanted to wait around for. We decided to indulge in one of our favorite vacation past-times - exploring. We drove around just re-familiarizing ourselves with parts of town and reminiscing about our time there. Then we decided to head out toward The Loveless Cafe for dinner. This also requires a post of its own to cover all the details.

Monday, we checked out of the hotel about 9:30 and decided to head south to the Cool Springs Galleria, taking in some of the back roads. It was another fun, exploration adventure. We wandered around the mall for a while and left after lunch. We were very disappointed to find that the Dippin' Dots booth had closed. There really wasn't anything else we needed to do, so we headed home. We made a pit stop at my step-mom's and made it back home at a reasonable hour.

All in all it was a great weekend. I had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment