Monday, January 30, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas

This is a change from my usual "throw it in and run" crock pot cooking. It actually took about 20 minutes to put it all together, but considering how many people this could feed, that's not bad.

I started with one of my bags of cooked, shredded chicken that I'm guessing was about 1.5 lbs. I tossed it in a bowl with 1 can of enchilada sauce. I scooped a spoonful onto a small corn tortilla, rolled it up, and stuck it in my slow cooker. I didn't put any sauce in the bottom, just sprayed the liner. I kind of wish I'd put a little sauce in the bottom, but I'll remember that for next time!

I was able to get about seven in each layer. After I got the first seven in the cooker, I put a little bit of sauce over the top, and began working on the second layer. I ended up having enough chicken for about 17 enchiladas, but I could have easily fit several more. I poured all the remaining sauce over everything so it would run down over everything, then just put on the lid and let it do its thing on low all day. Because the chicken was pre-cooked, it probably didn't actually need that long.

It came out really nicely. The tortillas were nice and tender, but not mushy (which is why you have to use corn instead of flour. Flour get mushy!) It could have stood a little extra sauce, but we topped them with our favorite respective toppings. It also re-heated really well, both in the over and in the microwave. This is definitely a keeper!

One thing I may try next time is to make it more like a mexican crock pot lasagna - save myself all the rolling and layer it in the crock pot (adding cheese.) You could also toss in some beans and any other veggies you may want, then just top it however you like! This could make an excellent football party food, especially if you don't want to do soup but want something more substantial than just finger foods

So the quick summary -
1.5 lbs cooked shredded chicken mixed with 1 can enchilada sauce (I used red, but you could definitely use green, too)
1 package small corn tortillas (I used 17)
1 extra can enchilada sauce for topping

Cook on low 6-8 hours

1 comment:

  1. Sounds tasty! I think if I make this I will do it in the lasagna style like you mentioned - takes out one less step :)

    ReplyDelete