Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Onion Broth

I know I mentioned before about making onion soup. This is the original recipe I set out to make, but you know me and my crazy desire to make everything "my way". In the past I have made a court bouillon that was really great for other things, so I decided to try and combine the two recipes.

3 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
3 Tbsp whole black pepper corns
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
pinch of salt

The results weren't as good as I was expecting because I went a little overboard with the black pepper and it still tasted a little flat. I later learned that if I added a little more water it toned down the pepper a bit and I could dress it up with some herbs and it was quite tasty (and also stretched this already inexpensive dish even farther). However, even in its original form it has a great flavor for cooking. I froze most of it into cubes, popped them into a plastic freezer bag, and let them hang out in my freezer so they're there when I need them.

If you're going to freeze it in cubes, one thing I would recommend is to measure the size of your cubes and then write that on your freezer bag so that when you need them for something, you know how much you have and how many you should use. In my case, three cubes is equal to 1/3 cup of liquid.

Next time I'm going to add some more flavor with a few herbs and maybe a little bit of wine. This may actually cure me of buying canned chicken broth forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment