Sunday, February 21, 2010

Shower the people you love with love

Yesterday I helped host a baby shower for Jeff's cousin. There were lots of people involved. And the planning for this "blessed" event has not always been easy or pleasant, but it got done. When it was in the planning stages, it all seemed rather over the top to me and to many of the others I spoke with. But as I consider it in the grand scheme of things, it makes sense to me.

We were all a little uglier than we needed to be about the whole thing. Did this aunt (the grandmother-to-be) handle things the way I would have or the way my mother-in-law would have or the way any of the other aunts would have? No, probably not. But she is her own person. She is a very sweet person. She loves her only little girl very much. And she is very excited about the arrival of her first grandchild.

I think deep down we are a little jealous of her and her attitude. Because she doesn't care what anyone else thinks. She knows what she wants. And what she wants is the best for her little girl and her granddaughter. She doesn't censor herself. She is completely honest and open and genuine. She is excited and she wants everyone else to be as excited as she is. She wants to provide everything she possibly can for them, and this is the best way she knows to do that. She is in "momma-bear" mode - she is going to take care of her baby and you really don't want to try and interfere with that.

I wish I could be like that sometimes. I wish I could NOT censor my enthusiasm for the sake of the feelings of others. I wish I didn't need the validation of knowing I'm doing things the "right" way. But that's not me. And if I tried to just throw all that out and be a little more determined to get what I want, I don't think I would be happy. Because that's just not how I think. I can't want only what I want in life. Because I know that, even though it's "my" life, it impacts a lot more people. I have family. I have in-laws. I have friends. I have neighbors. I have professional responsibilities. I can't just ignore all that.

Maybe one day when I have children things will change, if not for me than for them. Maybe not, I have no way of knowing until I'm actually there.

Back to the baby shower...

The party itself was very nice. I have no idea how many people showed up, but it seemed like a lot to me. We put on a good party if I do say so myself. It looked nice, the food was tasty, and everyone seemed to have a really nice time. There were lots of nice gifts. I took a little mental inventory of all the things I want for my kid someday (and that I hope I can buy off of Danielle when she is done with them!) She got quite a few really neat keepsake things like the baby's bible and the handkerchief bonnet, and an ultrasound photo frame. She got a TON of clothes. Everything was precious, but most of it was more "dressy" clothes. There were several cute little onesies and "basics" too, but oh the clothes!

I'm giving fair warning now. If anyone buys me baby clothes without prior approval, I will have to not be friends with you anymore. The only exceptions are 1) it's handmade or 2) it's a family heirloom you want to pass down. Everything else, check with me first!

I really enjoy hosting parties and having fun, but by the time it was over we were all beat! You really do run on the energy of others and when it is all done, you can't help but just drop. I have a feeling I will sleep well tonight!

We love you Isabella Grace and can't wait to meet you!

No comments:

Post a Comment