Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Brownie Bites

I got a new toy - a cake pop maker! I'm going to actually make cake pops, but I'm saving those for Christmas. Of course, I couldn't resist the urge to try it out, so I decided to use the fudge brownie mix we had hanging out in the pantry.

The directions recommended using a plastic bag like a piping bag to fill the little wells. In keeping with my eternal hatred of doing dishes, I decided to take advantage of the fact that there were only a couple of things to add to the mix and mixed the egg, oil, and water in a little bowl, then tossed that and the mix into the baggie. Then I squished it around to mix it. I mean, if I made ice cream this way in high school, why not brownie batter? Then, I just cut off the corner to squeeze it into the little wells. I cut the corner too big so I sort of made a mess, but it all worked out.

The first batch I baked for the five minutes recommended by the instructions for the machine. When I went to take the first brownie ball out of the maker, it exploded in a little chocolate lava bomb. Normally, this would be a great thing, but it was kind of making a mess. I left them a couple of minutes longer and got them all out, but they were still pretty soft and so they got pretty mangled. Not that I didn't love my little chocolate lava bites, but they definitely wouldn't have been "dippable" as the cute perfect little balls.

I expected the overflow to burn on the maker, but it didn't. Sure, it was more crispy than the rest, but still very edible and tasty. The second batch I baked for right at seven minutes to start with, and while still a little soft, they weren't quite as bad as the first ones. They never did get burned on the bottom (which was my fear) so I guess for future reference I'll have to remember that with fudgey brownies they take about twice as long as suggested!

Although not pretty, they were very tasty. Clean up was an absolute snap because nothing stuck at all! Everything, even the "mess" came off clean and beautiful, so all I had to do was wipe it off!

I'm loving my new toy and can't wait to try it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment