Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pizza Pops

I saw a recipe recently on pinterest that looked brilliantly tasty an easy - balls made of canned biscuits, pepperoni, and cheese (and any other pizza fixings you may want) and then baked in muffin tins. Brilliant! Well, since I've been looking for new ways to use my cake pop maker, why not pizza pops?

I found these super-precious tiny turkey pepperonis, so that saved me from having giant hunks of pepperoni or having to do lots of chopping. Basically, I just put a little sprinkle of cheese and a few tiny pepperonis onto half of a canned biscuit that I had flattened a bit, then wrapped everything as best I could and rolled it into a ball. the ones I thought had too much stuff in them turned out to be the best.

My cake pop machine recommends a baking time of 4-5 minutes for cakes, so that's what I did for my pizza balls as well. They were ALMOST over done for my liking, so I think in the future I'll do closer to 4 minutes. They did puff up into perfectly round balls and browned pretty evenly.

I saw an alternative version very similar to this where a large pepperoni was used along with cubes of cheese. Basically you lay down your bread, then lay your pepperoni, then put your cheese in the middle and wrap it all up. I think that would probably work better for my next attempt because the one thing I wished was that I had a bit more cheese, and the cube would probably be just what I need!

All in all, it was a success. I think they work great for a small group, but I don't know that I would do this as a party food, as cute as they are. The reason being that these are best when they are warm, but because you can only do 12 at a time in the cake pop maker, by the time you get all of them made, all the first ones are going to be cold! For a large group (like a football party, perhaps?) I would probably do it Monkey Bread style!

But just for me? The cake pop maker is perfect!

If you try these out (in the oven or otherwise) give me a shout and let me know how it worked, especially if you have some brilliant improvements!

No comments:

Post a Comment