Monday, April 9, 2012

How I Rocked Easter

I believe that the successful execution of the Easter festivities in my life just go to prove (if only to myself) that I am indeed a rock-star! Let's take a look back starting with Wednesday, shall we?

Wednesday - Made a congealed salad and started prepping other food-stuffs. My fridge is already getting frighteningly full. The garage fridge may be commandeered. Wrote clues for easter egg/scavenger hunt and got corresponding pictures for puzzles. Yoga at 6:30. This whole "intentional breathing and presence" thing really has something to it, especially during Holy Week. I highly recommend it. Second trip to the grocery store this week on my way home. On-call for Children's at 10pm.

Thursday - Thankfully didn't get called out overnight. Go off call at 8:00 am. Get dressed and head to the Honey Baked Ham store. I was a little shocked but it was dead. I'll have to remember that for the future. Got an 11 lb ham, a 3 lb turkey breast, a pecan pie, and some sweet potatoes to eat with leftovers. Put away all that and rearrange the fridge AGAIN. Re-write the order of worship for service tonight because I can't find the file where I saved it. Babysit from 11:15 to 5pm. Get stuck in major traffic so I'm the one 10 minutes late for church. Good thing they can't start without me! Service went well. Did some more egg/scavenger hunt prep after the service. Saw the most AMAZING, bright rainbow as I was leaving.

Friday - Babysit from 8am - 1:30pm. Make a hashbrown casserole, Greek onions, cucumber and onion salad, 22 miniature coconut cream pies, and a lemon cake. Finish up around 5pm when Jeff gets home. Get changed to go have dinner at the Summit and wander around for a bit. Stop at the grocery store on the way home to get snacks for the egg hunt tomorrow. Put together all the eggs for tomorrow and clean the kitchen up a little bit. It's getting down to the wire. I don't get to bed until after midnight (which is now really late for me!)

Saturday - I decided to let hubby sleep so I got up and took the dogs out. Fried a pound of bacon and decided that, while I was at it, I'd also make breakfast so I made coffee, scrambled eggs with cheese, and biscuits. (I'm a good wife like that). Also glaze my cake and toast extra coconut for decorating all the miniature pies. Deep clean the kitchen. Made rotel dip for the afternoon snack at the church. Pull out all necessary serving pieces for lunch tomorrow. Pot some lavender. Refill the bird feeders. Trim my rose bushes and herb garden. Add water to the fountain out front. Went to church for the easter egg/scavenger hunt and practice for the drama portion of the service. After we got home I made broccoli salad and triple checked everything else. I was done with everything by 5:45 pm.

Sunday - Woke up ridiculously early (like 4:45 am!) and couldn't get back to sleep. Allergy symptoms were terrible and I'm not good at sniffling quietly so that Jeff could sleep, but I tried. Sunday school at 10, worship at 11. It all went really well and I was very pleased. After church headed home to find family already there, which I really hate, but oh well. Got everything out and ready for lunch. We would have been ready to eat by about 1:40 but we had to wait for a few stragglers. Lunch was good and we only had a few things left over, so I was pleased. I was hoping to get pictures, but got distracted by everything else. We had a grand total of 23 people, which was good. Not gonna lie, when the last person left around 5 pm.

All in all, it was a very successful venture. One of Jeff's aunts asked me, as everyone was leaving, if I'd do it again and the answer was "yes!" I enjoy entertaining and doing things as I went through the week made it really easy.

What are some of your tips for entertaining, especially large groups?

No comments:

Post a Comment