Saturday, July 25, 2009

Married Life

In the two months since our wedding, I have often been asked the question "How is married life?"
Well, I really haven't been able to come up with an honest and concise answer to that question yet.

"Great!" - Married life really is great, at least my married life is. I love getting to share life with Jeff. I look forward to his coming home every day and getting to actually talk to him in person rather than over the phone. I love having someone to cook for and to eat dinner with. I love sitting next to him on the couch and watching nothing on TV. I love sharing all the mundane little details of life with him. It really is wonderful to truly be sharing our lives.

"A Challenge" - Right now, our biggest challenge to married life is learning to live together. It can be something as simple as compromising on what we want for dinner on a particular night to trying to figure out when we want to go to bed and get up to accommodate our different schedules. I'm sure it will work itself out, especially when if I start having office hours like he does. It's nothing major, but over time those little things that you aren't used to dealing with can build up. The biggest thing is reminding ourselves and each other to communicate.

"Hard Work" - Married life has meant the taking on of some interesting new responsibilities. In addition to the housekeeping and walking the dogs,  there are some serious business aspects of sharing a life with someone, the least of which is the management of household finances. So far this has gone very well, but it doesn't happen by itself! I have also found myself with a few new duties including packing Jeff's lunch for work every day. It's also been an adjustment to have someone to whose needs I have to be responsible. When I was single, if there was a night I didn't feel like cooking and wanted something quick and easy I could just do what I wanted, but I can't do that now. I'm sure I will learn how to manage all of these new responsibilities, but for now it's still a learning experience.

"An Amazing Journey" - Married life is a journey, no doubt about it. There are all kinds of twists and turns, and the pit stops along the way sometimes provide the greatest entertainment. But ultimately, it's about the journey and not the destination. Like any journey I know there will be times when I am tired and frustrated, but it is SO worth it.

So if you feel the need to ask me how married life is or has been, just pick whichever answer you like best, because it is all of the above!

No comments:

Post a Comment