Friday, July 10, 2009

Roast Chicken

I have officially roasted my first chicken. And I must say, it was quite a successful attempt. I also learned a lot and think I can do an even better job next time! 

I must admit, I've never been a huge fan of working with whole creatures. It makes them seem, well, like animals and not just pieces of meat! I can see how people can be vegetarians when you look at it that way. I mean, I know intellectually where meat comes from, but I have a really hard time bridging the gap between farm and market. And even really large animals like cows and pigs don't bother me. It's the little ones like chickens and our goats. I've never had a burning desire to try goat meat, but I really think I would have a problem with it now that we're raising them. (That's another post for another day). 

Anywho, as I set about the work of preparing my chicken, I felt rather odd. It was quite compressed in its little package, so in order to clean out the insides I had to spread its little legs and open it up. And I felt like a perv! Stuffing it with the lemons, onions, celery, carrots, and rosemary had a similar effect. But I was pretty proud of myself and my stuffing abilities. 

After it was stuffed, I had to give it a massage with butter and season it with salt and pepper. Again, massaging a chicken was odd, but the results were very much worth it! I also stuck a little bit of lemon and rosemary under the skin. It was good It took about two hours total to roast, but it came out pretty darn perfect. It worked out well because I gave it about 10-15 minutes to rest while the rest of dinner finished so it was still nice and juicy but the skin was crispy and delicious. 

My carving skills need a little work but overall it was a very successful dinner. Next time I will probably not put the rosemary under the skin, just stuff it inside and lay some in the pan around the bird.

If we can catch a turkey on sale sometime I may just making our own roast turkey for sandwiches!

Coming soon: Bread, Dogs, Cleaning, and Movies

No comments:

Post a Comment