Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday Five - Just a Job

Today's Friday Five is all about looking at the fact that, although ministry is a calling, it shares many characteristics with any other occupation. Particularly the fact that there are aspects of the job that are fantastic and there are things about it that are less than fantastic. This week has been a good exercise in both for me as I live into my new, dual role as both pastor and chaplain! (I'll leave the student piece out for now!)

What are a few of the tasks that you find tedious/energy sucking in your ministry position? CHARGE CONFERENCE REPORTS! I love to believe that, in a larger church with more staff and committees to handle these that it's a lot less of a pain, but part of me knows that isn't necessarily true. I haven't found anything exceptionally tedious or energy sucking in CPE, but I'm guessing that charting will probably be up on that list!

Is there anything you could do to make one of them better? Unfortunately, not that I know of. Charge Conference is all me for now. I don't know that charting will be that bad, but I'm guessing that keeping good notes and doing what I can on the floor will help (but again, I really don't know for sure!)

What are a few of the tasks you find energizing in ministry? Talking and listening are often the most energizing. Learning new things (especially as part of a group) and seeing others get excited about learning are very rewarding. And I am learning to value self-care as an important task of ministry!

If given a quarterly spiritual day, how would you want to spend it? Going up to camp to spend the night and get away, to read and journal and perhaps go to some sort of workshop. If I couldn't do that, I would want to simply attend a worship service at another church where I can worship without the duties of leadership.

If given a quarterly spiritual day, how would you actually spend it? Probably still working, or as an extension of a family vacation. Because I don't work from a regular office (at least as far as church work goes) it's hard for me to draw those lines between personal and professional

Bonus: What would your Dream Ministry job include? A flexible schedule where I have a day somewhere in the middle of the week to either come in later in the afternoon or do some work from home; definitely have some colleagues who can take care of responsibilities for me when I'm not at work. I would love to have at least one Sunday a month where I don't have to work so that I can attend worship services that I don't have to lead. I would love to be able to work in more one-on-one situations, preferably with young people.

1 comment:

  1. Great insight into your calling in your description of your dream job. I am particularly intrigued by the idea of a Sunday off to worship and wondering if I can implement that with my staff. Hmmmm....

    Thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete