Monday, October 4, 2010

Scheduling

I have determined, after only one week, that the schedule of a chaplain agrees with me. Particularly the whole "changing it up" aspect. I have always thought of myself as a creature of habit, but I have recently come to realize that I enjoy a certain amount of flexibility. Actually, it keeps me focused and it helps me to thrive.

I have gotten spoiled by the schedule of a student and then that of a part-time pastor because I have freedom during the day to get things done. I can grocery shop while everyone else is at work. I can run by the post office without a second thought. But this whole working 8-5 Monday - Friday thing gets old fast. And that's why the chaplain schedule is beautiful!

I generally work most days. But I have at least one day a week where I change it up a little. I may not come in until the afternoon one day. I may have a Friday or a Monday off because I had to work a weekend shift. And it absolutely rocks! Yes, it makes planning a weekend getaway a little more of a challenge. It requires a little more coordination, but it's totally worth it! I like breaking it up. And I even like only having one day off at a time!

We'll see what I think about 16 hour shifts and getting off at 8 am!

No comments:

Post a Comment