1) Are pies an important part of a holiday meal? Well, I won't speak for everyone, but as far as MY holiday meals I will say they are nice, but I wouldn't say they are essential. As tasty and fantastic as they are, I wouldn't be heartbroken if there wasn't a pie present! I like making my no-bake pies because it's something easy and tasty to contribute, and of course I welcome the pies of others, but I'm just as happy with cookies or cake or a bowl of ice cream!
2) Men prefer pie, Women prefer cake. Discuss. I don't know how true this is, again because of my limited experience. My dad is not a big dessert person but he actually really loves my great-aunt's Lane Cake. My husband will eat whatever it is he can get to on the dessert table! My brother is not as big a fan of sweets as he one was, but he will usually partake in a little something! My aunt probably prefers chocolate pie to just about anything, but likes chocolate anything over fruit anything. And me? Well, It's pretty hard to turn down a red velvet cake, but if there is a chocolate or key lime pie on the table I might just have to do it! We're a mixed bag all the way around.
3) Cherries - do they belong in a pie? I honestly couldn't tell you because I've never had a cherry pie. I'm typically not a fruit pie person, but I am learning! Now cherries on TOP of the pie, absolutely! But that's probably just because my pies are usually topped with whipped cream!
4) Meringue - is it best on lemon or chocolate? In terms of general family preference, I would absolutely say chocolate. But recently I have had a hankering for citrus desserts, and a lemon pie sounds really awesome, even though I don't think I have ever had a lemon meringue pie before in my 25 years!
5) In a chicken pie, what are the most compatible vegetables? Anything you don't like to find in a chicken pie? I am not a vegetable eater, but I do like potatoes in chicken pie. However, that's it! Anything green (except herbs) or orange or yellow I would rather not see! When I make chicken pie for my husband (which isn't all that often, but I will do it occasionally) I usually include peas, carrots, and corn. Occasionally broccoli will sneak in if we have just a little bit left in the freezer, but I still pick around all of it!