Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Rosemary & Thyme Salt

This is so stinking simple, but it's also absolutely brilliant. I don't know why I didn't think of it on my own, but something somewhere reminded me of the gloriousness of herbed salts, so I thought I'd try making some on my own. It was a great way to use some of my herbs from the garden and I'm sure it will make a lovely gift. Try it on anything grilled or roasted, and it will change your life!

It's so very simple - 2 parts of course sea salt to 1 part of herbs. I used rosemary and thyme because I happen to love that combination. For my test run I only did a 1 cup batch and I did it in our magic bullet. If you have a bigger food processor and wanted to do a big batch, that would probably be even easier. I did throw the herbs in first and let them get kind of chopped up before adding the salt.

As you can see, my salt was not as course as I would have liked starting out so it got pretty pulverized, but it is still very useful and tasty! I threw it into a half pint mason jar I happened to have left from canning this summer, and it made a lovely little container, suitable for gift giving. (This one is all mine though, I'll make more to give away!)

No comments:

Post a Comment