Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Crocheting

Back in the summer I promised a a post on crocheting. I didn't forget, I'm just finally getting to it!

I got a great Hobby Lobby gift card as a wedding gift and when I went on my little shopping spree I found a "teach yourself to crochet" kit that I decided I couldn't live without. Crocheting isn't something I know how to do (or know anyone who knows how to do it!) but I really wanted to learn.

I got my kit, got some yarn, and got home and sat down with my little illustrated book and started. I was doing a little test patch and got the first row done, but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get turned around and working on the next row! I did something, but I did it very wrong because it just kept getting thicker rather than wider. I just couldn't figure it out! I needed someone to show me what I was doing. But since I didn't know anyone who knew how to crochet, who was going to teach me? So I did what any logical person would do. I packed everything up when we moved and just tucked the whole box away! I didn't even open it.

Last night I was just surfing around online and saw where someone had mentioned learning to crochet by watching videos online. I don't know why that never entered my mind as an option! I guess I just don't spend enough time on youtube. I did a quick google search and came up with a great instructional video that shows you how to start, do the basic stitch, and then how to turn around and do another row! I don't know who was in this fabulous 3 minute video because it only showed her hands as she worked, but I am very grateful to them!

I got started. I intended to make a potholder but got a little excited and turned around too soon. So I am now well on my way to being the proud owner of a crocheted coaster! It's a little lop-sided because, well, it's my first project and I'm still learning! But I am really enjoying it and looking forward to doing more.

Next project will be a potholder!

No comments:

Post a Comment