Sunday, January 16, 2011

Egg Drop Soup

Recently I've been absolutely loving (and really craving) Egg Drop Soup. Our favorite Chinese place does it so simply yet beautifully that I figured I had to give it a shot!

3 cans chicken broth (or whatever kind of broth you like for a base!)
2-3 splashes soy sauce (you may only want to start with one unless you're using the low-sodium chicken broth)
1 clove minced garlic
chives
1/2 cup beaten egg

Heat the broth with all the other stuff except the eggs. When the broth is thoroughly warmed through (not really boiling, but almost). Then, take your spoon and make a little whirlpool in your pot. Then slowly drizzle your egg into the pot as it's swirling. It'll cook itself in about three minutes. I actually used egg substitute, and while it didn't look as pretty, it still tasted good.

I'm not a tofu person, but if you like it, you could easily toss in some tofu or sprouts or mushrooms or anything else you'd like in there. I'm a no-frills kind of gal (at least when it comes to my egg drop soup) so I like to keep it simple.

The recipe called for ginger, but I didn't have any. It really needs it. It wasn't bad, but it could have been better. I enjoyed it, and I will definitely make it again.

It's a surprisingly quick and easy dinner that I can throw together after work. If you like egg drop soup, give it a try. And as usual, if you try it (and especially if you improve on it!) let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment