Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cilantro Lime Steak Pizza

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of this. It didn't last very long once I got it off the grill! Try it and I think you will understand why!

This pizza is a cross between a recipe provided by Boboli and a great pizza I have had at California Pizza Kitchen.

I did make my salsa to be used as the sauce. It was basically the same, but I refined it a little (and made a smaller batch) - 2 small cans tomatoes, 1/4 tsp. cumin, about 1 tsp chipotle pepper in adobo, juice of 1 lime, 1/2 onion (diced), about 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, and salt to taste. It must have been pretty good because I used about 1/2 cup on the pizza and the rest got eaten with chips while we waited.

I used some basic fajita steak strips, but a flank steak would be fantastic here. I marinated it in lime juice, a little olive oil, and some fresh cilantro the night before. Then I sauteed it quickly in a pan and cut it into chunks for the pizza.

The pizza was topped with the salsa, steak, onions, green chiles, and pepper jack cheese on a "regular" crust and grilled just until the cheese got all melty and beautiful. Then if that's not fantastic enough, top it with sour cream. One bite, and you will understand why this was such a hit! Even the folks who aren't normally a fan of "exotic" pizza really enjoyed it.

I suppose if you used bell peppers and onions that had been sauteed you could call it Fajita Pizza. In fact, I think that is exactly what I am going to do from now on...

No comments:

Post a Comment