Sunday, June 27, 2010

Camp Recap

There are still a lot of emotions that go along with a trip to camp. I am still working on processing it, and I will get to it all eventually in bits and pieces, but for now I will just hit a few of the highlights with you.

This was my first time to do elementary camp. It was also my first time back in 7 years. It was great to be back. It was strange not seeing all the same people, but definitely not bad.

I got an unexpected reassignment (I'm hesitant to say "promotion") from counselor to assistant director (AD). The work really did suit me better. I can say that honestly because I filled in for a MIA counselor for a couple of days. I would definitely like to do the AD thing again, but will have to remember to bring more fun reading if I do! Downtime at camp without mudpies and the marble game is not cool

I got to spend a lot of time with Nurse Buck just hanging out. It was good stuff. I needed it. Laughter sometimes is the best medicine and he can certainly provide plenty of it!

I got my first ever case of the camp funk. Let me just say, I'm not a fan. Thankfully it's almost gone now.

I got to help in the planning and leading of morning watch, vespers, and communion. It was so stinking amazing! I even got to take some serious creative liberties with The Great Thanksgiving and experience worship in ways that I had almost forgotten existed. Plus, getting to serve communion to friends, both new and old, is probably one of my favorite experiences EVER! This is why I'm called to be an Elder - the sacraments are AMAZING things!

I got to drive up the mountain twice and spend some time at the chapel. I love that place. Almost as much as pool camp. I had forgotten how to get up there, but I can't wait to take Jeff up there now.

I tried Archery for the first time ever and really loved it, even if I stunk. Stay tuned for a deeper reflection on the important life and faith lessons I learned in the process.

I did get a little sad thinking about things that had happened between the last time I was at camp and this time. A lot of life happens in 7 years. I did some serious reflecting about leaving camp. It was good reflecting and I came to the conclusion that it was the right decision for me to make. I probably should have come back about two years ago, but I'm glad it was here and now. I feel like I'm finally ready to be here again, but in a new role.

It is harder for me to adjust to coming home than it used to be.

I never thought I'd say it, but I miss the camp food! I got spoiled having someone cook 3 meals a day for me. I kept hoping something good would appear in my fridge today but it never happened. I finally broke down and made myself something about 5pm. I may have to start getting up and actually cooking breakfast for myself!

I had an amazing time and can't wait to go back! Lots of love to all those who will continue to be there through the summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment