Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday Five - Work Out

I am not an athletic person. I really do wish there was some sort of fitness routine I could get into and actually enjoy. Sure I like going on walks with the dogs - if it's not to hot or to cold. I've done some yoga/tai chi before and enjoyed that, but never joined an actual class or practiced on my own with any devotion. I would love to take some sort of dance classes, but I think for now I am too self conscious and can't afford a private instructor.

Do you work out physically, spiritually, or psychologically? - Physically, no way. I'm still sort of wrestling with what it means to work out spiritually or psychologically. I guess it would mean to participate regularly in activities that stretch my mind or my faith in ways that are beneficial to health and development. I think I do some of these things, although for the life of me I can't really nail down specific examples of either right this second and I don't think I quite have the "participating REGULARLY" part down.

I feel like spiritual work outs were a frequent thing in school and, although they happen now, they definitely aren't as frequent or as intense. I feel that, just as with a physical work out, to really be able to push yourself you need someone (or a group of someones) to challenge you and someone to spot you so that if there is a problem, you won't get badly injured. I have had a lot of great spotters and coaches and I miss them. I need to get out there and be more intentional about finding more and spending some quality time with them!

Are you more inclined to join a gym or a book club? - I don't know that I'm more inclined to JOIN the book club (I've joined plenty of gyms thinking it would motivate me) but I am definitely more inclined to PARTICIPATE in the book club!

Are you more inclined to read self-help books or religious books? - Really, I don't know that I'm terribly inclined to read either one. If I had to choose between the two categories I would say the religious books. If those are grouped together and the question is phrased "these or something else?" I would definitely say the something else! I like reading books that make me laugh. Sure, I like stuff that inspires me on occasion, and I even like a good mystery that makes me think from time to time. But I feel as though I take life too seriously as it is, and any help I can get lightening up is very needed and appreciated!

Are you a loyal fan of a sports team? Or do you jump on the bandwagon when the local team is winning? And if so, which one? - Yes, I am a loyal fan of college football. I'm not, however, a die-hard fan. I loyally support both the University of Alabama Crimson Tide and the Auburn University Tigers. I want them both to do well. However, when they are playing against one another, I want Auburn to win. I am not as big a supporter of Birmingham-Southern baseball as I once was because I don't know anyone there anymore, but I'm still a fan. Of course I still support the Cullman Bearcats in just about anything, but I'm slowly starting to think of the Thompson Warriors as "our" school since it's literally in our back yard now!

Or do you lean more towards having a favorite theologian/spiritual writer or self-help author and if so who? And why? - I probably have about as many favorite authors and thinkers as I do favorite sports teams! Bishop Joe Pennel and Dr. Doug Meeks are two of my all-time favorite theologians, probably because they are "mine". I have really enjoyed reading Henri Nouwen and Frederick Buechner as well. Of course we can't forget John Wesley (although there are times when JW and I have some interesting conversations, but that's another post for another day!) I want to make some time for reading more Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Majorie Hewitt Suchocki, but haven't done it yet.

Bonus - What was the last playoff series you watched and did your team win? - The SEC national championship, and yes they certainly did!

No comments:

Post a Comment