Sunday, June 6, 2010

Straight Lines

For as long as I can remember I have loved to create. Paint, draw, cut, it doesn't matter. But the one thing I never did very well was to make straight lines. I always got excited. I was more interested in the end result, in finishing, in seeing my vision come to life. As I have gotten older, I have developed a new-found appreciation for straight lines. When I need them or want them I often have to employ some unconventional means to get them, but I make it work when necessary.

It was not until recently that I was able to appreciate how this reflects not just my impatience in creativity, but my general approach toward life, work, and responsibility. I don't like lines, but when they are necessary I usually don't go with straight and simple. Dips and curves and blurs are much more "me". However, I have learned that I NEED those lines and boundaries for the sake of my own sanity.

I have officially started with a few new professional boundaries. This includes keeping regular "work" hours in which I will either be in my office at the church or generally available to write, return phone calls and e-mails, meet with people, and research things. It was very important for me to draw those lines as boldly and as straight as I possibly could. No meandering crayon or drifting colored pencils here! This called for big, black sharpie and the ruler!

Now that I have drawn the lines and they are officially in effect, I'll be interested to see just exactly how well they are respected, not just by others but especially by myself. I made the decision not too long ago that, rather than simply saying "this is how it will be forever and ever amen" I will start with "these are my hours for summer" so that they can be changed as needed. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment