Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tele-prompted

I have already shared the fact that I am addicted to a couple of reality tv shows - Top Chef and True Beauty. True Beauty I rarely watch on Monday nights when it actually comes on, but I don't worry because I can watch it online and generally stay caught up on it. I caught the premiere of Top Chef and I am greatly lamenting the fact that I will miss it this week while I'm at camp.

But having spent a fair amount of time watching both of these shows, it really makes me think about myself and what I say and do all the time and with different groups of people. I probably run my mouth a little too much at home. I am guilty of saying things that I probably shouldn't and sometimes things that I don't want others to hear. I love being able to share things with my husband and probably need to work on not being so ugly, but at the same time I know that if I don't get some of this stuff out of my head I will explode. Perhaps a journal would be a wise investment for me!

I often wonder how people would react if my life were a reality TV show. On the one hand, I think most people would be really bored. My life isn't terribly exciting. There isn't a ton of drama, especially not direct drama. I just don't know that many people or have that much of a life! On the other hand, I feel like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde sometimes and my evil side comes out when I'm not around anyone else! And people would probably have many of the same criticisms of me that I have had of others.

So what does any of this have to do with Top Chef? Well, I think part of the reason that I like that show in particular is that I like to learn about cooking, but I also enjoy it because they don't show drama just for the sake of drama. It's just a part of the nature of life when you put a whole bunch of people together, especially in a competitive environment with so many different personalities. Drama and conflict are parts of life. And eventually stuff is going to hit the fan and you're going to explode. The question becomes what will you do and what will people see?

My challenge to myself is to live my life as though I were on a reality show, with cameras watching every move I make. Yeah, I'm going to screw up. Yeah I'm going to be less than perfect. But at the end of the day, can I still be proud of what I have done and who I have been? Stay tuned to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment