Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Favorite Things - p.26

It's hard to believe that I have done six whole months of this! I want to see if I can keep going for a whole year, so suggestions for topics area always appreciated.

These are a few of my favorite children's books. I love children's books because the pictures are beautiful and the simplicity of the language is refreshing. Plus, I have lots of happy memories associated with books.

The Country Bunny and the Little Golden Shoes - this is a great story that combines a lot of my favorite things. First of all it has a great moral/message. It's not just about having physical abilities, but about having the mind and heart to go with it and having the drive and determination to try and to keep going in the face of adversity. Secondly, it's about a girl keeping up with (and even doing better than) the boys! Thirdly, it's about an amazing working mother who proves that your life and your dreams don't end when you have children! And of course it has beautiful pictures of a sweet little brown bunny who saves Easter for one child! I guess that is a not-so-hidden (but also not so obvious) message - that it's not about just doing for the majority, but about the fact that every life and every person matters. Just trust me, you should read it.

Once Upon a Potty - educational and entertaining. Although I would venture that most people reading this really don't need the instructional part of it, it's still a cute book. There is even a "his" and "hers" versions. And there are lots of pictures of poo, which every kid likes!
The Polar Express - this was my family Christmas Eve tradition rather than reading "the night before Christmas". I was very disappointed with the movie. I understand why they added a lot of stuff to it, because it's a short book and you had to fill in more of the story to make it long enough for a movie. But they changed the climax, and I didn't like that at all. I had a good time riding the ride at Sea World last year, but the book will forever be the "right" way to hear this story. It's a nice reminder about the importance of believing in magic, even when you "should know better".

Peter Rabbit - actually, I love everything by Beatrix Potter. I think the thing I love best (now) is that none of the characters are furry humans, their homes, foods, and activities are largely those of the animals you would observe in the English countryside. However, the way they often go about these things has a distinctly human twist that makes it relatable. They also have wonderful interactions with great things to be taught. They are well over 100 years old, and still doing great things in the world of literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment