Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ham and Potato Casserole

This is something we didn't have super-often when I was growing up, but I definitely associate it with childhood (or the alternate version - ham and macaroni!) Unfortunately, my mom never made it like this and for the life of me I can't figure out why because it's so stinking easy!

Essentially, I take my recipe for hashbrown casserole and add some diced ham to it (and I retract my earlier statement about the shape of the hashbrowns not mattering. The shredded ones work so much better!) The one major adjustment I made this time was that instead of the cheddar cheese soup, I used a container of Philadelphia Cooking Creme. I've actually really enjoyed this stuff and it worked great in this casserole. I highly recommend it! I also cut the sour cream down to 8 oz, and it was fine.

Even on his current low-carb kick, Jeff couldn't resist a little bowl of this stuff. It's just that kind of fabulous comfort food! If you try it, let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I bought some of the Philadelphia Cooking Creme (I think the garlic flavor). The only reason I bought it was b/c it was on sale and I had a coupon but I have no clue what to do with it! haha. Also, my mom was telling me an easy way to make your own hashbrowns is to bake some potatoes and put them in the fridge over night. Then grate them the next morning and fry them up! Sounds easy! I'm def going to try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete