Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hashbrown Casserole

This is one that was always a staple in my home growing up. We always called it "potato chip casserole" because my mom would crumble potato chips on top. Unfortunately, we never really had a written recipe for it and a few attempts over the last few years have been less than successful. However, I think I have FINALLY mastered this wonderfulness. By the picture you can tell that it probably won't be gracing many magazine covers anytime soon, but it's cheesy deliciousness, so how can you go wrong?

1 package frozen hashbrowns (I alternate between preferring the shredded and the little cubes, shape really doesn't matter)
2 cups shredded cheese (growing up it was almost always mild chedder, but now I generally prefer a blend like colby jack)
1/2 cup onion diced very fine (this was not a part of it growing up but I prefer it now. If you would rather you can use a little onion powder, trust me!)
1 can cheddar cheese soup (or cream of whatever. growing up it was always cream of chicken)
16 oz sour cream

Mix everything together and put into a greased casserole dish. Feel free to top with extra cheese, bread crumbs, potato chips, or whatever else you think would be tasty if you think it needs a little something extra. (I personally don't, although next time I might have to put some of those fried onions from a can on top, just to see what it does for me!)

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. It makes excellent leftovers.

I suppose if you really wanted you could add some chicken or turkey and a few veggies for an easy-cheesy casserole, but I'm not sure I would want to mess with this greatness. Throw a few chicken breasts on the grill or in the oven, steam up some broccoli or toss together a salad, and it's still just as easy!

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment