Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday Five - Family Tree

Today's Friday Five is especially appropriate for me because I am in the hometown of my mother's family to celebrate my brother's graduation from college.

1. Do you have any interest in geneaology? Yes, some. I think it's neat to learn what you can about those that have come before you. I especially love the stories.

2. Which countries did your ancestors come from? That we know of - Ireland, Scotland, and England with some strong suspicion of French and/or German.

3. Who is the farthest back ancestor whose name you know? I can only remember a few without looking at my records I have at home - Mary Elizabeth Kennedy, Katie Myrtlean Crowell (the name Myrtlean cracks me up), Richard Lester Haggard. I think all of these are great-grandparents.

4. Any favorite saints or sinners in the group? Nothing really stands out at the moment. My whole family was full of both and I have stories about almost all of them. My great-grandmother was about three months pregnant on her wedding day. My great-great-aunt and uncle dated for almost 20 years while he tried to get an anullment from the Catholic church because he got a divorce from his first wife. He never could get it and they finally got married anyway, so he was excommunicated. Because she was married to him, she wasn't allowed to join the church until after he had died.

5. What would you want your descendants to remember ab
out you?
I don't know, right now there really isn't much to remember except that I went to Vanderbilt and am a minister! Hopefully before I go there will be lots of other good things!

And just a little funny from my past that I learned about last night - When I was about three years old, my great-aunt's dog named Sugar died. When I learned of this, I told my family "She's gone to have dinner with Pa (my great-grandfather) and Jesus." I was being pastoral right from the start!

No comments:

Post a Comment