Sunday, May 2, 2010

Smothered Pork Chops 2.0

I recently came to the realization that I hadn't made my smothered pork chops in quite a while and decided it was past time. But also being incredibly lazy (and slightly inspired) I decided to give a crock pot version of these little lovelies a try. All the ingredients are the same as last time - pork chops, onion, bell pepper, chicken stock, dales, cayenne. Please ignore the butter in the photo. It was a reflex.
There are no "steps" here - just toss it all in. As far as quantities, it all comes down to personal taste. I used 4 pork chops, half an onion, and about 1/3 cup of bell pepper pieces (you know, one good handful). The joy of a slow cooker is that the same amount of liquid can cook a lot more meat, and one can of chicken stock could easily do a whole pork tenderloin if that's the route you wanted to go for a party or if you just wanted lots of leftovers!

Let it cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. I tend to let it go 8 hours (or more). I think mine cooked for right about 7.5 hours. I had planned to let them go the full eight but I had a hungry husband who did not agree with that plan.

I like it served over rice or even pasta. This time I went with herbed rice (white rice cooked in chicken stock and seasoned with seasoned salt, garlic pepper, and thyme) I don't have a picture of the finished product, but it really wasn't all that impressive to look at. Trust me when I say the looks didn't matter because it tasted great! You didn't even need a knife. As soon as you stuck your fork into the pork chop it just fell apart! Yum...

If you're not a pork person, this would also be great with chicken. I'm going to have to remember to try that...

No comments:

Post a Comment