Friday, May 28, 2010

Friday Five - I Would Put My Hand in the Fire For That


Today's "Friday Five" from the RevGalBlogPals is essentially asking for the things that you are passionate about and the thing/causes/people you are willing to speak out or act on their behalf. It really is something important to think about and ask yourself from time to time. Would I put my hand in the fire for that? Do I care enough to risk my self and my well-being for this? Should I care enough to risk my self and my well-being for this? These are the things I would currently put my hand in the fire over.

My Family - I will fight to the death for my family. I might not always like them but I will absolute, positively always love them and do anything they need. I would take out my own heart and give it to them if I thought it was needed! This includes my extended family, in-laws, out-laws, and "adopted" family.

Passion - It's not surprising that passion is contagious. Far too many people and causes in the world have become so cynical and jaded about life in general. Causes don't mean much any more because everyone and everything has a cause and a ribbon and a sticker and a t-shirt. But when I see people truly passionate about something, that makes me passionate as well. I guess this one is two-fold. I will fight to help others discover their passion and to see people passionate. I also become passionate about their passion, and their cause becomes my cause as well.

Universal Human Rights - It seems so simple and yet seems to have been forgotten by so many. People are people. No matter where they come from, no matter what they look like. All people deserve a few basic human rights. The biggest thing is that they have the right to a safe and healthy life including food, clothing, shelter, and basic education as well as access to all privileges that have been earned. I could get on a major soapbox about all kinds of things here, but I will save that for another day and time. Suffice it to say, this pretty much covers all your "isms" and most of your "abuses".

Respect - This could probably fall into the previous category, but I'm going to pull it out for the sake of this because it deserves to be mentioned specifically and independently. Regardless of whether or not you like or agree with a person, cause, whatever you should respect them as people who are entitled to their own opinion. Say "please" and "thank you". Don't argue. Don't be mean. Don't curse. Don't even joke about death, killing, or violence in any form. And for the love of all that is good in life, please turn down your music and pull up your pants! Thank you!

Animal Rights - This one is a newly discovered passion because even now it is hard for me to understand how anyone could abuse or neglect an animal. But I know that it happens and it is something that should be addressed. I'm not just talking about pets either. Although I'm not a vegetarian and don't know that I ever could be, I do recognize that there is a need for humane treatment of animals that are going to be eaten as well. Somewhere deep inside my heart I do believe that happy animals are better for everyone physically as well as mentally. I have no basis for this other than my own crazy mind, but I really do believe that humanely treated animals are better for you (and may even taste a little better).

So now you tell me the things for which you would put your hand in the fire!

No comments:

Post a Comment