Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Playlist, Part 1

I love music. I have loved music for all of my memory. But I am not a trendy person. I've never been really "into" what was popular. I've barely been aware of what is popular, and I am usually at least a year or two behind trends. I had never heard of Justin Bieber until this summer. But I still maintain that I love music. I have been criticized for having the iPod of "a six year old", which I think is a bit of an exaggeration. And even if it isn't, I'm ok with that. Because it's what I have and what I like.

Would I like to have more music? Absolutely! Is there lots of stuff out there that I like and would love to have? You bet! But there are other things I would rather do with my money. I can't remember the last time I bought a physical CD, but it was probably about 4 years ago when I got the soundtrack to Mamma Mia after I saw the show in Atlanta.

I like music that lets me sing along. I like stuff that is generally peppy and fun. Most of the time when I am listening to music it is when I am in the car. My favorite playlist, titled "Fun Mix" now has about 114 songs on it. They are in alphabetical order by song title. There are show tunes, children's music, songs ranging from the 1940s - 2000s. There are some songs that are soft and fluffy and sickeningly sweet, and there are some that are hard and aggressive and It's an odd, eclectic mix. But I love it. It suits me.

One thing I have noticed about my music (mostly thanks to my wonderful friends and colleagues) is how profoundly spiritual and inspiring even "secular" music can be. And how much I think I value things that are truly inspiring, even more than I ever have. I think this is the biggest reason my music isn't particularly trendy and I don't give a rip! Music is so intimate. It reflects so much of my life and my memories and so many emotions that it is a hard thing to share and an even harder thing to leave to the control and opinions of others.

What is on your playlist right now? How often do you buy new music? Do you have anything particularly special you would be willing to share with me? I promise to give more details about what is speaking to me in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment