Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rosemary Bread

I am not a huge baker, but I love these flavors and it seemed very simple and worth a shot

1 packet yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1 c. warm water

Mix these all together and let them hang out until everything gets bubbly

2 c. flour
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary

Add the second group of ingredients to the first and mix for about 5 minutes until it gets sort of shiny and elastic (this was in my stand mixer with the dough hook). Add some more flour if you need it (I needed about 1/4 cup).

Put the ball of dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a towel, and let it rise for 1 hour. Then punch it down and let it rest a few minutes.

Instead of baking it into loaves, I decided to make it into rolls. I rolled walnut sized balls and placed them into a round cake pan that had been sprayed. Then let them rise for another 45 minutes. (This is the perfect time to let the oven be pre-heating to 375)

I actually had a little extra dough so I made two slightly bigger rolls for Jeff and I to "test"

Pop the rolls in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned. Then brush the tops with a little melted butter and sprinkle with salt or more fresh rosemary.

Oh my gosh. SO stinking good! And it really was very easy. The hardest, most time-consuming thing was rolling the little balls for the rolls. From now on, I will have to double the recipe because this is one of those that will go so quickly! Served with a little olive oil and some good balsamic vinegar, I could make a meal out of this!

One thing that struck me as I was making this was the fact that this recipe was very close to vegan - no egg, no milk, only 1 Tbsp of butter, which really could have probably been replaced with olive oil very easily. In fact, I am going to try that the next time around to see if it comes out as well (but I don't see why it shouldn't). If you do try it, let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment